Saturday, October 22, 2011

I have finished the race...

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."



Posted by Picasa

About 2 1/2 years ago, my Aunt Sharon was telling me about this half-marathon that she absolutely loved doing.  By the end of the conversation, she pretty well had me talked into doing it with her the October of 2009. 

And then something happened... what was that again?  Oh yes, I got pregnant and so I decided to put the idea of doing a half marathon out of my mind.  Until this summer...

And, after 12 weeks of training, I found myself here... listening to the national anthem, walk/ jogging for 13.1 miles, and getting misty as a crowd of people (most of whom I didn't know) cheered as I crossed the finish line.  For the first time ever, I saw pride on the face of my 9 year old as he looked at me.  My sweet husband said that watching me (and others) finish was "inspiring".

There were times in my training and times along the race route that I wanted to quit.  I am so glad I didn't!  It was a journey that taught me much about myself.


There were some interesting running outfits.  Sorry, I know I'm not a girly-girl, but I just can't imagine running in a kilt!

Posted by Picasa

Two of my "teammates"-- Mary & Kathy.
Posted by Picasa

Sharon and Me before the start of the race.
Posted by Picasa

Our "team" at the end of the race.  Could someone explain the biology behind the "freezing your tush off" aftereffect of a long walk?  Anyway, the solar blankets really did help. 

After the race, Jason took me to Culvers.  When the cashier (Tony) asked me what I wanted I said, "I just want the biggest slab of beef you have!".  Tony got a good laugh out of that one!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Christine, I am so proud of your. What a wonderful accomplishment for you and for the kids to see! I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete