Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Weight Loss Wednesdays: My Story




I happened upon the most amazing blog this week. You know, the kind of blog where you read and think, "This person totally gets me!" even though you've never met. The blog where the tears stream down your face because you realize that you are not the only person with "that" going on in her life. Confessions of a Snowflake is that blog for me.

I read about her Weight Loss Wednesdays and decided to join in. The theory behind weight loss Wednesdays is that a cord of three strands is not easily broken. This made me realize that although I've got me (strand one) and God (strand two), if I don't talk to others about it, I'm still a strand short. So here's my story...

I have an auto-immune disease which causes chronic pain. In order to get pregnant (and nurse) David, the pain meds had to take a hike. This has been managable only by severly changing my diet.

That being said, I had a super healthy pregnancy. Between the first trimester weight loss, the inability to eat Mc You-know-who nuggets, and nearly daily exercise, I had a net gain of 17 pounds-- 9 of which was baby! By the time my 6 week check up rolled around I was 3 pounds less than when I got pregnant. I know, you want to smack me right about now, but keep reading...

PPD hit me even before David was born, but, by the time he was 2 months old, it was obvious I needed meds. I was on them for 6 months. In those months, I struggled to find the drive to exercise, I emotionally ate, and I was on a med known to cause weight gain.

And that is where I find myself... 25 pounds later! Every morning I wake up and say to myself, "I am not defined by whether or not this ____ (shirt, pair of jeans, etc) fits.". I am working on believing that.

3 comments:

  1. Can I come through the computer & hug you???? Thank you so much for your kind words! They are balm to tired mom's soul...who is trying to work and homeschool today. So thank you!

    Depression is soooo hard! I've gone through it myself (although not PPD). It's so difficult to be concerned with your eating habits then. I pray you are able to believe good things about yourself. And may you be successful in your weight loss journey.

    Thanks for joining in Weight Loss Wednesday!
    And it was so nice to "meet" you!
    Many blessings to you my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine. I found your blog through Alicia's link up. You have such a beautiful family! Sending you much love and light for a successful weight loss journey. May God bless you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you through Alicia's link up as well. I developed PPD after my third daughter was born. My story with exercise is a little different, but I am having to really work to take off the baby weight. Please hop on over or send me a tweet (@signingcharity) if you would like encouragement from someone who is walking the PPD journey (I tell the main part of my story on my December 25, 2010 post). I am just now trying to wean off meds and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete